All turbines up at Noupoort
According to Noupoort Wind Farm, all of the project’s thirty five turbines are now installed as the project looks towards its planned Commercial Operations Date in July this year. Turbine installation crew, BMS and Fairwind, began the erection of the turbines in December last year. With foundation bolts in place and the concrete foundation cured, a turbine takes a day to erect under favourable weather conditions.
The ZAR1.9 billion project is the first wind farm from round three of the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement (REIPPP) programme to energize and is expected to be the first to complete construction in the Northern Cape.
Project milestones include:
- Construction of the wind turbine generator foundations started in May 2015.
- All 35 turbine foundations were completed, before schedule, on 20 November 2015.
- Transportation of the various components commenced on 19 October 2015.
- All 315 abnormal loads successfully made their way to the wind farm by 17th April 2016.
- Energized the substation on 12th February 2016
- Energised and the first turbines on 23rd February 2016.
- All 35 wind turbines erected by 30th March 2016.